Saturday, December 15, 2007

La playa, fiestas, and goodbyes

I spent a few days relaxing at the beach with Sarah and Kate! We went to Pinamar, which is about 3 hours from the city by car, but 5 by bus. We had originally planned on staying until Tuesday, but when we found out Sarah didn't have to take her final we decided to stay one more day. It was pretty calm there because high season doesn't really start until next week. Lots of restaurants and shops were closed, but it didn't really make a huge difference to us. The beach was nice, though it got a bit windy in the afternoons.
The first night we got invited to an asado (barbecue) by a group of dads and their kids that were staying at the hotel. Good food and an entertaining night. One of the dads kept jokingly speaking "English" for us, which was spanish with a terrible accent and a few English words thrown in.
The second day was pretty cloudy, so we walked to Carilo, the next beach/town over from Pinamar. Carilo is basically a town in a forest and most of the buildings are cottage style. Really quaint. We went back to the hotel to do our "spa circuit" and massages. It.... wasn't exactly what we were expecting, but something to laugh about. We went back to Carilo for dinner to a nice Italian place. They made a deal with us that, if we corrected the English in the menu, they'd give us free desserts. It was a win-win situation....
Tuesday and Wednesday we spent on the beach. We all got a little burned on Tuesday. I did a pretty good job of avoiding it.... except for a line down the back of my legs that fried. Tuesday night we decided to stay in and ordered pizza and empanadas and watched the mockumentary "Best in Show." Overall, a very relaxing, fun trip.

I've been spending lots of time with Sarah and Kate, which has been lots of fun. Right now lots of people have either gone back to the U.S., will be soon, or are travelling. We had the "fiesta de despedida" (goodbye party) with FLACSO on the 6th. They had it in a fancy place and invited all the students, host families, and FLACSO staff, professors, and tutors. I finally met Dana, who has been living with Cata and Annie for the last few months. She's really fun--it's a shame I didnt meet her sooner! They gave out various awards and prizes and I won 2 things! There was a photography contest (of trips and of Buenos Aires) and I won for one of my Buenos Aires pictures. It was of a car made out of books that, instead of "Arma de destruccion massiva" (weapon of mass destruction) it says "Arma de instruccion massiva" (weapon of mass instruction). I got the picture framed and a DVD of a music festival. They also had a contest of words we had learned throughout the semester. I had been trying to save them on my computer,so was able to turn in a pretty decent list. Anyone with over 200 words got a prize--I got an agenda/planner that has an Argentine cartoon as the theme and a Charly Garcia CD. Not bad, haha. After dinner and announcements and whatnot it turned into a dance party. It was a fun night. Strange to think I won't see a lot of the people again...

Cata is gone as well. She, her boyfriend, and a friend are in Colorado for a few months with a work-exchange program. She left before Annie did! We had a suprise going away party for her the 7th, which was fun. I got to meet a lot of her friends, who are really nice.

Other than that.... I've just been trying to do a little bit of everything in the time I have left. Unfortunately I'm not completely done with school. Turned in my lit paper on Friday, but I still have to finish my independent study paper. I've been trying to combine schoolwork, hanging out with friends, and checking off the last things I've been wanting to do in the city.
Alright, well that's enough procrastinating for me. I'm going to work a bit more on my paper--it needs to be done!

No comments: