Saturday, September 8, 2007

The bracelet

So a few weeks ago I went to meet up with some friends at Plaza Serrano. There are lots of restaurants and bars with open space in the middle. I was the first one to get there, so I started walking around, looking at the booths selling jewelry/crafts in the center of the plaza. One of the vendors struck up a conversation with me and we talked for about 20 minutes before my friends finally got there. I love talking to new people. He made bracelets and after talking for a few minutes he said he wanted to give me something. He gave me a bracelet, not like the ones he sold, but simple with string and a wooden bead. It's a "dream bracelet" (pulsera de deseos, but desires translates a little funny in English). I had to make a wish on the bead and when it falls off, that means it comes true. (There was also something about positive energy but I didnt really catch that part...).
Anyway, I don't know if the bracelet is like birthday candles, where you're not supposed to tell, but I'm going to anyway. I wished for "direction."
I had heard from others that, in general, you change a lot when you study abroad. You discover a lot about yourself when you're taken so far out of our comfort zone. I had somewhat expected this, and wanted this, but didn't realize to what extent I'd experience it. Sometimes I feel like my world has been turned upside down. Obviously I'm living in a different culture, different language, etc. But I'm trying so many new things and meeting so many new people and really just trying to have an open mind and it's making me question everything. My favorite example, as silly as it is, is that I didn't like tea and only sometimes would drink coffee back home. Now I have coffee and/or tea pretty much every day. And I like it. It's just makning me reevaluate a lot of things that I thought/wanted/liked/etc.
But even though right now my life is a little confusing, I know its a good thing. I know that, one day the bracelet will fall off and I will have a clearer idea of who I am, what I am, what I like, etc (which may or may not be at the same time). I know I will come out of this better and stronger. And I'm really excited about that.

No comments: