Thursday, August 9, 2007

So then we played Spanish pictionary in a bar....

When I made this blog, I didn’t think I’d be updating quite so frequently. There’s so much going on though that I can hardly remember everything I want to share.

Tuesday was my first day of classes (only at UCA, the Catholic University of Argentina). In the morning I went to an Argentine Literature class in the Latin American Studies Program (aka mostly foreign students). I showed up to the classroom on my schedule and found two guys from the program, but no one else. We waited for a while and then decided it was time to ask, which was also an adventure. Every time we tracked someone down, they sent us to someone else. Eventually we found out that we had the wrong room listed on our schedules and were able to go to our class, just 20 minutes late. I think I liked the class, but I’m deciding between that one and another one that will start next week.

After class I got my student ID and then ran around the city a bit. I had to go to FLACSO to find out which classes I can take at UBA, though it turned out I could have done it online. I got the classes I wanted though, so they’ll start on Monday. Then I went back to UCA to have lunch with Stefan (from the plane) before our class on Peronismo (aka politics started by/based on Juan Peron). I decided it wasn’t the class for me though, so I won’t be taking that one. Afterwards I went to a class about making documentaries, specifically documentaries in Buenos Aires. It seemed really, really interesting, but I don’t think I want to devote that much time to filming and editing this semester.

I tried to go get photocopies of a story I needed for my lit class, but didn’t have much success. They don’t have the same system here, where you can just buy all of your textbooks from the campus shop. In fact, there usually aren’t campuses at all (UCA is the closest to a “campus,” since all the buildings are next to each other as opposed to all around the city). Here, the bibliographies for the classes are usually excerpts from various books, either in the forms of photocopies (from libraries, original books, or places that just do photocopies of texts and notes) or in books which may or may not be in the many bookstores in the city. The professor had said that the story would be in the print lab/photocopy center in the building, but when I went (and after I figured out the system) it wasn’t there. I emailed the professor though and she sent me a link online. That’s a nice thing about UCA—small classes, a lot like Elon.

That night I went out and had one of the most fun nights yet. I met up with a few people at a restaurant and we just chilled, talked, and enjoyed ice cream and wine. Afterwards, we went to the bar (Jobs) where we had gone as a group to celebrate the end of orientation. It’s a big place, filled with picnic tables, pool tables, darts, and foosball. We noticed that the people at some of the tables were playing board games as well. Maybe this exists in the U.S. and I just don’t know about it, but board games in a bar was a very new concept for me. We ended up playing Pictionary in Spanish with two Argentines. It was so much fun. We played in teams and it was very amusing when the US kids would guess the words correctly instead of the Argentines. There were many times we had to switch the cards though because we just didn’t know the words or we would understand the drawing, but not know how to say it in Spanish.

Wednesday was not particularly exciting. I stayed around the house for most of the morning/afternoon to be with Joaquin as well as wait for the computer technician to come to make the wireless internet work. Turns out it the wireless router wasn’t working because the cable was plugged into the wrong spot. Go figure. At least it didn’t cost that much for him to come out and he was able to fix up Elvira’s computer as well. Afterwards I went to another class at UCA—Introduction to Sociology. Once again it was somewhat of a wild goose chase trying to find which classroom I was supposed to be in. It was my first class where I was the only exchange student as opposed to there only being a few, if any, Argentines. The other students were really nice. At first it was a bit awkward, but they all talked to me, asking where I was from, what I studied, if I liked it here, etc. The girl I sat next to helped me after class, showing me where to go to get the syllabus.

Thursday I had my Lit class again. Unlike the other classes, which tend to start 10-20 minutes late, this one started a minute or two early. I was not expecting that at all, but I walked in right as she was starting. The story we read was interesting, though I didn’t fully understand it until we talked about it in class. It was all a satire of the government when Rosas was dictator, but since I’m far from an expert on Argentine history I missed a lot of the connections. I was surprised by how much a lot of the other (foreign) students knew though. That afternoon I had lunch with Sarah and then Elvira took us shopping for boots. It seems as if everyone here wears either boots or Converse sneakers. We both bought a pair, though it took me a while since I’m incredibly indecisive. I went back to UCA for the Sociology class (it’s a Wed, Thurs class. Strange). Once again, I really enjoyed the people. I understood the first half of class really well, but the second half I was pretty lost. I may or may not keep this class, depending on how I like the UBA class Monday.

I like how close/affectionate people are in Argentina. During our break in class one of the students bought a snack and another bought a drink and then they all shared it with a big group of friends (I was very excited I was included). Also, a kiss on the cheek is the standard greeting and goodbye here. Even on the first day of class, some of the students (who I had never met before) kissed me hello along with their other classmates. It’s a very friendly feeling, though still a bit strange at times.
Thursday night I went out with some friends and ended up meeting and talking with some Argentines, which was exciting. I like having new friends within the program, but I really want to make friends outside of the program as well.

Today I successfully bought a book for my lit class and booked my ferry/bus to go to Uruguay next weekend. We have a 3-day-weekend so I’m going to go to Colonia and Montevideo with some friends. Tonight I think I’m going to go out salsa dancing, which I’m very exciting about. Apparently people don’t start showing up until 2 or 3 in the morning though, so I think I’ll nap between dinner and going out. We shall see how it goes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Becca - I love reading your blog! I made friends with kids from Puerto Rico over the summer and they kiss too - and of course my Italian cousins - they do both cheeks! Enjoy!