Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Dress-up for big kids

Today was another adventure. This morning I went for the first step in the process of getting my visa (We came in on turist visas and are getting our student visas here. Apparently its easier that way). I bought some school supplies and stopped at the bakery by my house that always smells delicious. I went to FLACSO in attempts to finish registering for classes, but (to make an overly complicated story to) they weren´t ready, so I left and made copies of my passport and had a quick lunch with Sarah.
At 230, a few people met at my house and we went, accompanied by my host mom, to a leather/fur factory. Elvira knows the owner so we were able to take a tour and try things on. I had thought it would be normal leather jackets and whatnot, but we were all quite suprised. They had very equisite, elaborate jackets in all kinds of colors, made of all kinds of furs. Definitely not things you would wear everyday. We had fun trying them on though. My favorite was a huge blue coat with a large, furry blue collar that seemed to swallow me up. Eventually I´ll post a link for pictures. Overall it was fun and very interesting, though a bit disturbing if you thought about where it all came from.
Afterwards Sarah and Amanda came over (after a stop at the bakery)and hung out for a bit. After snacking for a while we decided we were still hungry, so we went to a Cuban-style restaurant I pass everyday on my way to the subte. We relaxed and enjoyed appetizers and drinks. Its been fun meeting new people.
Tomorrow I´ll go to my first classes. I´m going to go to 3, but probably only take 1 of them, if any. We shall see how it goes!

1 comment:

Lindsay W. said...

so much going on! i love it! do you know anyone living in caballitos? that's where my host family was.