Monday, July 30, 2007

El fin de semana y las clases

This weekend was fun, though it didn´t all go exactly as planned.
Friday night I went out for a delicious dinner with some new friends. We went to a fancy restaurant and splurged on apetizers, the main meal, dessert, wine, and coffee. Yum. The exchange rate definitely works in our favor here. We had planned on going out afterwards, but after dinner we all felt so relaxed from good food and good conversation that we decided to just go home and chill and go to bed instead.

Saturday I met up with some of the other kids from the program to do a walking tour. We saw a bit of San Telmo, where I live, and then went to lunch at a cafe called London City, where apparently Cortazar wrote a lot of one of his books and set the first scene there. When we left the restaurant we saw something that might have been one of the funniest/strangest things I´ve seen in my life: hundreds of waitors/waitresses speed walking down a main road (the Casa Rosada is at one end, Congress at the other), balancing trays with a bottle of soda and water and a glass with a drink in it. I suppose it was some kind of race, because they all had numbers pinned onto their shirts. I never really got the full story, but it was very amusing (and suprising) to see.

From there we decided to cut the San Telmo tour short to visit La Boca: argued the birthplace of the tango, but not so safe after dark. We took the subte there and saw a few things, though not as much as we wanted before we decided to turn back. That night I went to dinner with some of the girls and then went to the club ("boliche") where Annie´s host/my host mom´s daughter works. I took the bus all by myself to Annie and Cata´s place--it was very exciting!

Sunday I had planned on going to church with a friend, but set my alarm for pm instead of am, and woke up very late. I wandered around San Telmo with another group though--on Sundays they close one of the roads and there are merchants selling jewelry, artsy things, clothing, etc. up and down the street, as well as lots of musicians (tango bands, percussion groups,etc).

Today I wandered around by myself a bit and shopped for a few thing--shoes that are more comfortable for walking around the city,and a peacoat (that most people wear here and I left at home). I went to lunch with a friend who was on the DC flight and then spent lots of time at FLACSO trying to figure out classes. Its overly complicated. I need to decide which classes I want to take and at which university/program, what will transfer for credits back at Elon, if the schedules overlap, and if I can get to the classes in time. Unlike having all of the classes on one campus, I´ll have classes all over the city. Luckily though, I know that at least 2, maybe 3, will be pretty close to my appartment. Most of my classes with be with foreign students, but I want to take at least one regular class with Argentine students. Its just hard to know which classes I´ll be able to do the best in with the language disadvantage. We´ll see.

Anyway, thats the update for now. Hasta luego!

No comments: